Thursday, August 19, 2010

How do I get remote error details in ASP.NET 2.0 (I think)? I'm just getting the Runtime Error screen.?

I downloaded the Express (free) version of Visual Web Developer today and am trying to build my first website in ASP.NET 2.0. I'm an MCSD and I've done this before in ASP.NET 1.1.





When I create a new website in Visual Web Developer it doesn't create a web.config file or a global.asax. Only a default.aspx. What is going on?





Does this Express version not do any of that? Am I not using the right menu commands to start? How do I get the error details to display remotely? (I'm building on my remote webhost and trying to debug from home).





This is a tough one I know. Please help.

How do I get remote error details in ASP.NET 2.0 (I think)? I'm just getting the Runtime Error screen.?
Add Debug=True to your @Page directive; also, make sure you do not have any customErrors entries in your Web.config file.





When you create a new site in Visual Web Developer Express, it should create a Web.config file for you at that time. If not, you can right-click on the site's root folder in the solution explorer and choose Add New Item. Web config file will be one of the choices; so will be global.asax





In short, the problem is that you're not familiar with ASP.NET 2.0 and have failed to RTFM.


No comments:

Post a Comment