Thursday, August 19, 2010

How can I make a web-based drag and drop database?

I'd like to make a web 2.0-type database type service using ajax.





It's going to be a social networking visualization application that will be used to store information about contacts I've made. For example, each person I know would have their own little box and I would link them together if they knew each other.





For example:





Frank %26lt;---%26gt; Lauren


|


|


Me %26lt;-----%26gt; Melissa %26lt;-----%26gt; billy





This would mean that I know Billy through Melissa and that I know Frank who knows Lauren.





Basically, it would be an easy way to view your network and add things about them that would appear in their boxes such as their contact info, hobbies, etc.





Anybody have some ideas to get started? Thanks!

How can I make a web-based drag and drop database?
I would start with the Db design. You are going to need a junction table to resolve the many to many relationships you are going to have.





So if your user table has fields like





UserId


Name


etc..





Then your second table will need sometihng like





FriendID


UserID1


UserID2





Then you will be able to resolve the names of the people who know one another and draw your relationship. When you add the link, then a record will need to be inserted to keep track of it for future requests.





You are going to need a lot more than this, but this should get you a start. I would look at using something like DotNetNuke to take care of some of the plumbing of the application and then just write a module for DNN then will allow you to accomplish your logic here.


No comments:

Post a Comment